Tuesday 10 November 2015

Visit to Hong Kong

I was very blessed and privileged to visit the Methodist Church in Hong Kong and represent the Connexion at a special service to mark 40 years since the American Branch of Methodism joined with the British Branch and so I was invited at their expense to be the guest of honour. It's very wonderful and providential that our mission partners out there are my best friends, Revd Dr Howard Mellor and his wife Rosie. So it was a joy to stay with them on the 16th floor of a tower block. For my morning run, I went across the road to the place where other joggers are. It was nearly a mile walk up the steep road on the mountain until I got to the track most people used. I was nearly exhausted by the time I got there and usually I am a solitary jogger on my little routine in Truro. Here there were lots of other joggers doing exercises, and Tai-Chi, some brave souls were running backwards downhill! But enjoyed my runs and prayed. This is in training for the All We Can sponsored run next year. I was the
guest speaker at a retreat on a little island, this was followed by a visit to the International Methodist Church (British speaking) the 9 o'clock service had 100 people, including one Cornish boy and a bloke from Liverpool. After this, I had a drink and then preached to nearly 1000. The challenge was to take up the cross on this anniversary and almost everyone did, it was deeply moving. After lunch I was taken to another part of Hong Kong, this service was in Chinese and I was given earphones to listen to the translation. I followed the cross and banner into the service with everyone singing "O for a thousand tongues to sing" in Chinese. This service was two and a half hours long and I was able to speak to the assembly on your behalf. I kept to my time! The Lord's Supper was very special. This service was followed by a banquet which I am very grateful that they invited me to such an authentic experience. School children played music and we witnessed the Dance of the Lion which is
all about welcoming us. Then between the 12 courses, there was musical and other entertainment. All done to a very high standard. The faith of the Hong Kong Christians was very impressive. They have just demolished the International Methodist Building and are going to build a skyscraper building with a chapel on top. It is a massive scheme, costing millions, the project manager is a man of prayer called Matthew. The Mellors are to leave in the Summer and so far have not found a replacement for them in Hong Kong. I promised them that British Methodists would hold them in prayer at this time of change.

No comments: